Saturday, May 14, 2016

Review: A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court Of Thorns and Roses #2) by Sarah J. Maas


Heart breaking romance and evocative world building
Title: A Court of Mist and Fury
Author: Sarah J Maas
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Publisher: Bloomsbury Books, UK
My ratings: 3 out of 5 stars
Released: 2nd May , 2016
This is going to be my difficult review to date. And furthermore, this will contain spoilers for the previous book and this book. So if you don’t want to be spoilt, look away now.This could have possibly been the best book I've ever read but I have such mixed feelings about the events that took place in this book.

So in this edition, our newly changed Fae, Feyre is back in Spring Court but still reeling from the events in ACOTAR. She is suffering from PTSD and unfortunately so is Tamlin. While they are suffering the threat of Rhys coming to make good on this bargain with Feyre looms over them.

*Start of Rant (spoilers ahead)*

Right now comes the rant, so while Feyre and Tamlin are struggling, instead on talking they start drifting away. Feyre being the whiny person she is, starts resenting Tamlin his happiness of being reunited with his family and friends. He tries to protect her from dangers around her, which I admit he goes about the wrong way of doing, pisses Feyre off and she decides to leave for the Night Court.

My rant aside, the rest of book from this point is beautiful. I think S. J Maas is an author who really listens to her readers and tries to fulfil their requests. Unfortunately in this case, she changed the love interest. I had suspected something like this may be pulled off in this series as hints were scattered in the first book, but the way it was done, so quick and brutal that it left me feeling jarred. In the book, it occurs in the course of 5 months but while reading the book, it all happens in the first 15% of the book. For readers who loved ACOTAR, which was more romance than fantasy and especially if you reread it before ACOMAF, then it hurts. S. J Mass sold the whole story of the first book on the romance between Tamlin and Feyre and suddenly both of them behaving so out of character was not only disappointing but made me angry. SO angry that I had to stop reading for 2 days to give myself time to get in terms with it.

ACOTAR was sold to me as the TRUE LOVE story based on the Beauty and the Beast and it was delivered. Then it takes a U turn and goes in a completely new direction. Needless to say, I was really annoyed. In fact I was more than annoyed. Secondly , the new love interest is portrayed in a holier than thou light and it takes away all that mystery and edge that I loved in the first place. Worst of all, it was achieved but putting the first guy in a negative light. This is what annoyed me the most. Why does Tamlin have to be suddenly the bad guy? Why can’t they just drift away rather than make Tamlin act in way he never would have! At one point, I was ready to give up but with the hype surrounding it, I gave it a try and didn’t regret it.

*Rant Over*

It was everything and more I could have asked in a fantasy adventure. It was so beautifully written, with nee exciting characters and old characters given new dimension. Rhys was portrayed in a completely new light and the romance of utterly toe tingling. The chemistry between Rhys and Feyre was OFF. THE. CHARTS. The flirtations, the sexual tension, the interaction, the little notes, I died with pleasure each time (even if a little part felt unfaithful to Tamlin).

The new characters introduced added a wonderful layer to the story and as the story unfold, so does Feyre’s world and the Fearie World unveils more of it’s secrets. I also enjoyed how much more background information was included giving every character nuances which were lacking in the previous book.

If I’m honest most of the book lacked a solid plot and until the very end, not much really happens unless you count the amazing sex scenes. Yes, ACOMAF is not a YA and I’d definitely call it NA. S. J Mass outdid herself.

Regardless of the above issues and Feyre’s annoying habit of changing her mind and turning Rhys into another tortured hero who needs the right woman, the book was fabulous. It was excellent, addictive, exciting and delicious. It was book which compelled me to keep reading and while I wasn’t I occupied my dreams. How I wish, Tamlin was not declared the ‘True Love’ in ACOTAR.

ACOMAF is a must read for all fantasy fans. Hell, it’s a must read for all reader who love a great story which will have your running to the bookstore to the next book.

Review copy provided by the publisher, Bloomsbury Books, UK


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting