Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Review: Cold Burn of Magic (Black Blade #1) by Jennifer Estep


Sword wielding ass kickery!
Title: Cold Burn of Magic
Series: Black Blade
Author: Jennifer Estep
Publisher: K- Teen
My ratings: 4 out of 5 stars
Released: 28th April, 2014
Jennifer Estep writes a cracking Urban Fantasy with the elemental assassin’s and her Ya series Mythos Academy is also crack. So Estep’s new YA fantasy series Cold Burn of Magic follows Lila who is a 17 year old orphan living alone in a municipal library. Her mother died while trying to protect one of the mob families in tourist town known for its magical residents. One day she accidentally saves the life of a Mob Prince and before she knows it she is his body guard in knee deep in Mob Family politics.

Cold Burn of Magic was fast paced and action packed. Lila was a hard ass and her life experiences shaped her personality. She comes across as gruff and silent but she knows more that she lets on. She was loyal, determined, and courageous. A character which I could easily root for.

The side characters were well crafted and they added a great dynamic to the story and world building. The love interest Devon will also make readers hearts swoon and I cannot wait to see more development between Lila and Devon’s relationship. While I enjoyed learning the new world but I figured out who the bad guy ages ago.

Over all Cold Burn of Magic is fast paced, well thought, intricate and packs a punch. It is great entry into a new world where minsters and humans live side by side with mob families fighting for domination with a sword wielding, kick ass heroine taking them down one fight at a time.

Review copy provided by the publisher by NetGalley  

Releases 28th April, 2015
 


1 comments:

Shane @ItchingforBooks on April 14, 2015 at 9:37 PM said...

Nice review. I've yet to read anything by Jennifer but really want to make time to do so because I love urban fantasy and I hear she's awesome! Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting