Thursday, April 2, 2015

Audiobook Review: the Dream Theives (The Raven Boys #2) by Maggie Stiefvator


Gut wrenchingly beautiful
Title: The Dream Thieves
Series: The Raven Boys
Author: Maggie Stiefvator
Publisher: Scholastic Audio
My ratings: 5 out of 5 stars
Released: 5th September, 2013
A fter the bombastic The Raven Boys, I could not wait to start The Dream Thieves. I have to say this series has become one of my favourites so far.

In Dream Thieves, the group is still dealing with the ramifications of the vents in The Raven Boys. The mystery of Cabeswater has to be solved but there are other things in motion which will take the story in a whole different direction.

What I most enjoy in this book is not the story or the plotting. In fact I think are the weaker points of these series. However it is the characters and the atmosphere which make this book as popular as they have been. A few new characters play major roles in this book and I can say I’m conflicted about them. The Grey Man and Kavinsky play pivotal roles in this edition of the story.

Where The Raven Boys was Noah’s book, The Dream thieves is Ronan’s book. Being in Ronan’s mind was excruciatingly painful and somehow it was exciting to see the world from his eyes. Then we have Adam had forever changed after the encounter in Cabeswater and he has his own demons to fight.

Blue and Gansey break my heart in this book and I firmly believe that I’m a little in love with him. YA books are choke-full of bad boys making many of us swoon but I love that Gansey is so different than all of them. He is refined, subtle, gentle and wonderful. A total boy scout and I love it. The author really knows her characters well that she is able to imbibe such subtle nuances within each dialogue and line. It breaks my heart that Gansey is probably going to die and I’ll be reduced to a mass to blubbering jelly.

I do believe the story progression is rather slow but with characters like The Raven Boys, I could watch them all day getting on with life as long as Maggie Stiefvator writes them.

On a side not, I think Will Patton does a bang up job of narrating this hauntingly beautiful story. His voice turns effortlessly dreamy to creepy in an instant. I recommend this book a 100%.




2 comments:

Micheline on April 2, 2015 at 5:23 PM said...

Oh you said it perfectly: it's not the plot or the story itself that draws you in with this series. It's the characters. I'm absolutely in love with all of them, but especially Ronan, which is probably why this book was such a treat for me XD Blue and Gansey broke my heart too though, seeing them interact is beautiful and torturous all at the same time. I couldn't agree with you more: this was gut-wrenchingly beautiful^^ Lovely review!

Micheline @ Lunar Rainbows Reviews

Escapism Fanatic on April 3, 2015 at 8:38 PM said...

Oh, thank you so much for your comment Micheline. I just think that the story is not that great as it's terribly slow but the characters make me keep coming back for more.

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting