Saturday, February 28, 2015

Review: There Will Be Lies by Nick Lane



An adventure and a journey in more ways than one
Title: There Will Be Lies
Author: Nick Lane
Publisher: Bloomsbury, UK
My ratings: 3 out of 5 stars
Released: 6th January, 2015
Nick Lane's There Will be Lies is one of those books that left me conflicted in more ways than one. The best way to get into this book is going in with as little knowledge about the book as possible. It can be enjoyed most when you don't know when the next page will hit you like a train.

It starts with Shelby narrating about her life and how she lives with her mother and has been home school. But before she knows it her whole life gets turned around and she finds her self on the road with her mother and before her journey ends her life starts unraveling.

First of all I have to give credit to Nick Lane he managed to keep my interest up until the very end. I enjoyed the way this book was written and there were two stories running simultaneously and were being flipped between each other. This helped chase the occasional monotone of a story stuck in one place. I also enjoyed how Nick Lane wrote pieces of literature which were profound and yet simple. The narration was spot on and everything was kept in wraps and as each lie was brought in and then shattered to reveal a nugget of truth.

Shelby was a great protagonist. I loved her strength, resilience and and sass even when facing situation which would have broken any regular person.

However I would have enjoyed it even more if there was some more romance in the story. It was hinted at towards the beginning but it never took off from there. Lastly, I wish there was an explanation as to what was the Otherworld? It ended with a bang but an explanation would have been cherry on the cake.

There Will Be Lies was not what I expected it to be. It is not a genre that I read often but it kept me entertained and engrossed with Shelby and her various troubles. It was an adventure and a journey in more ways than one and how selfishness can sometimes lead to love and forgiveness.

Published on the 6th of January, 2015 by Bloomsbury, 2015.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting