Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Review: Siege and Storm (The Grisha #2) by Leigh Bardugo

Darkness, Light and the Shades in between.....
Title: Siege and Storm
Series: The Grisha  
Author: Leigh Bardogo  
Publisher: Indigo/Orion Books 

Released: 6th of June, 2013  
My ratings: 5 out of 5 stars.
 Siege and Storm is the brilliant sequel to the amazing Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardogo. I find 5 star reviews particularly difficult to write and I don't know where to begin. What is it that works for one story and doesn't for others? Is it simply the writing, the prose, the pace, the plot, the characters or the world building? Or perhaps it simply is the coming together of all of the above in a manner that pleases you and makes the experience of reading a good book. The reason I love reading is I get to discover gems amongst many mediocre books. and I believe this is half of the fun. I love how you keep looking and then you find this amazing read and bang! You love it. This was what I felt while reading Shadow and Bone. After this I picked up Siege and Storm with some apprehension as I did believe Shadow and Bone was a difficult act to follow on but needn't had worried. Siege and Storm was that and more.

“You know the problem with heroes and saints,?" I asked as I closed the book's cover and headed for the door. "They always end up dead.” 
We see so much growth of characters and we also get to watch Alina grow more and more comfortable with her powers and ironically how it's putting her on unease. My heart broke for steady, loyal Mal. I really liked how Bardugo brought real issues between their relationship. IT didn't have the forbidden relation regurgitation we get to see in YA so often. At this point I'm sad for Mal and angry at him too. I won't give away spoilers so I'll be keeping mum about it.

“He tapped the sun over his heart. "I came here for you. You're my flag. You're my nation.”
Then we come to the Darkling, who unfortunately had a lot less page time but his presence was still felt. what I love the most about the Grisha Series is not only the world and magic but also the characters as to how each one of them have various shades of grey. No one is trust worthy or' good' not even Alina. The Darkling, I believe represents this as I believe he has the best thought provoking dialogues in this series. Logic may say he is evil and mad but somehow I keep grasping on the hope that perhaps there is more to him. I desperately hope that happens in Ruin and Rising.

“Why won’t you leave me alone?” I whispered one night as he hovered behind me while I tried to work at my desk.
 Long minutes passed. I didn’t think he would answer. 
I even had time to hope he might have gone, until I felt his hand on my shoulder. 
 “Then I’d be alone, too," he said, and he stayed the whole night through, till the lamps burned down to nothing.” 
Leigh Bardugo does not cut corners and she is brutal in the fearless portrayal of the dark side of her characters. I love that even Alina, is not far away from a certain type of madness and the irony that even if the Darkling and Alina are two opposite sides of the spectrum, one Dark while the other summons Light, they are similar in a way which cannot be told but only be shown which I'm glad that Bardogo does justice to.

“I've seen what you truly are," said the Darkling, "and I've never turned away. I never will. Can he say the same?” 
Another character worth mentioning was Stormhound who was most intriguing. Bardogo knows how to create flawed characters which somehow endear themselves to you and Storm hound was no exception. He is cunning, brave, charming and dare I say almost interesting enough to make up for the missing Darkling. Almost.

“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.”
Siege and Storm was an excellent sequel in every manner. It had a tight plot with the right place. It didn't feel like a filler which is a common problem with sequels in a Trilogy. The world Bardugo pushes you into is beautiful, dangerous and pushes the limits of your imagination. It's characters so complex that you can somehow understand them and feel for them even as they walk down the path of no redemption. Siege and Storm was the best sequel I have read so far this year and I do hope I get my hands on Ruin and Rising soon before I go crazy with anticipation. I'd recommend it to every not only Ya readers but to everyone who likes a bit of escapism into a intricate world of magic, kingdoms, power, love friendship and most of all hope.


1 comments:

maya on June 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM said...

I read Shadow and Bone a couple of weeks ago and I'm SO SO SO excited for Seige and Storm! Thanks for the lovely review ;)

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting