Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Review; Shadow and Bone (The Grisha #1) by Leigh Bardugo


"You and I are going to change the world"


Title: Shadow and Bone (Gathering Dark)
Author: Leigh Bardugo  
Series: The Grisha
Publisher: Indigo
My ratings: 5 out of 5 stars.  
Released: June, 2012
 Usually when I write reviews, I try to start by explaining the premise briefly so that my readers have some inkling as to what I'm on about. This time. Well, I came up with a blank. I don't know where to begin. Leigh Bardugo has stitched a world piece by piece so intricate and complicated and yet so vivid that I will not be able to give it justice. However I will try. Alina thinks she is a measly map maker until she is discovered to be the country's saviour and that she has special powers to annihilate the Shadow Fold. From there she is taken away to train and live with the other Grisha( magic bearers to put it roughly). There is magic, mystic, mystery and dark creatures. Damn, even now I cant give it justice without boring you all to death.Let's just say that you have to read to find out what I'm talking about. Shadow and Bone is a brilliant debut by Leigh which ticked all the boxes for me. When got hold of this book I couldn't stop. I pretty much read it in a day. Already fed up of the usual werewolf and vampires I jump at anything which is not the above two.

“I've been waiting for you a long time, Alina" He said. "You and I are going to change the world.”
Alina was a heroine which in your typical YA fashion was clueless about everything but what I loved was under her naivety she was clever. Thank god she was not whinny and I'm glad she was not written like that. Obviously there were a few distressing moment and some tears were shed but not one moment did I feel that Alina was not strong enough to get over it. Alina kept on insisting that she was not what everybody thought she was and that there had been some sort of mistake. Unfortunately, there was a sort of love triangle which in normal circumstances would have annoyed me but it was very well done. It was very apt to the underlying character of Alina, an orphan trying to find her place amongst the world. On one side was love and the other side was well, lust. I'm glad it was made clear that hopefully Alina understand what she feels for each of the men.

“I'm not like you, Mal. I never really fit in the way you did. I never really belonged anywhere." 
"You belonged with me.”
Shadow and Bone introduces us , which I believe, one of the most intriguing characters in all the YA I've read so far. I say so because Leigh has written him as a complex, intriguing, and of course confusing characters. There are hidden depths to him and I believe we have only scratched the surface as far as he is concerned. In my opinion, he was the one that made the book as I keep on guess what will happen next the events which took place left my mouth hanging open. Mal was a great love interest too. Steadfast, strong and handsome in an earthy way he was all that was good and I could see why I has a popular fan base but I like my darkness.

“The problem with wanting," he whispered, his mouth trailing along my jaw until it hovered over my lips, "is that it makes us weak.”
I'm not sure if I'm doing justice to this book as I find that the books I really like, my reviews for them fail to emphasis the point on how and why I loved them. The world was immaculate and I loved the use of Russian culture and lifestyle used through out. I couldn't help but notice the underlying themes running within. What I found most interesting was how similar Alina and the Darkling were. Some may not agree but I believe no matter whom Alina ends up with, she was discover who she is meant to be.
“Mal,"I whispered into the night. 
"What?" 
"Thanks for finding me."
 "Always.”
I absolute loved Shadow and Bone which kept me riveted to till the end. The world building was not only intricate but beautiful and dangerous enough to feel the trill in your bones. The story telling was good sometimes slow but even that put you on the edge as you knew something big was going to happen. I cannot wait for Siege and Storm coming out next week and I'm so glad I don't have to wait too long as Shadow and Bone left me gasping like a fish for Siege and Storm. Bring on the Darkling.



1 comments:

Unknown on June 11, 2013 at 3:21 PM said...

Well, everyone in the blogging world is talking about Darkling. So I cannot wait to read this book and Siege and Storm. Since they look so good and intriguing.
GREAT review
Your reader,
Soma
http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting