Sunday, November 4, 2012

When Beauty Met the Beast (Tales of the Underlight) by Jax Garren


Beauty and the beast retold, paranormal style
Title: When Beauty Met the Beast
Author: Jax Garren
Publisher: Carina Press  
Series: Tales of the Underlight  
Releases: 19th of November, 2012  
My ratings: 4 out of 5 stars.
Wesley Haukon is on the run. While running after completing an assignment,with the Order of Anake chasing him, he seeks shelter at a burlesque dance show party. Here he sees the lovely Jolie Benoit giving her debut performance. Enchanted by her beauty, the scarred, defaced and damaged Hauk follows here into back stage. Somehow turned on by a stranger whose face Jolie has never seen, she has a sexual encounter straight out of her dreams. So when she wakes up after being attacked, she finds herself in the arms of a monster. A demon whose face is damaged beyond repair.

This novella was surprisingly good. It started off well and gripped me straight away. The burlesque dance was particularly fun to read and the scene after had me fanning for herself. I was unable to get a good feel of the world the story was set in but I'm hoping the subsequent stories will be able to shed some more light on it. Although whatever was described promises to be interesting.

"It's okay sweetie, it's okay. You're okay." You're safe Just....lodged under the arm of a behemoth. Wer're going to get you out. Eventually."

Hauk was so insecure about how he looked even though he was cocky about it. He did not let on how much it affected him and his life. I also liked how the author managed to get Jolie slowly change her views about Hauk and how slowly his looks stopped bothering her. The ending was unsatisfying but left me wanting for more. An interesting novella but characters who have depth and a world that will leave you intrigued.


"Stick with me, beautiful. I can't promise a good times, but if history is any indicator, I can promise it'll always be interesting."

Arc provided by NetGalley


1 comments:

Unknown on November 5, 2012 at 1:45 PM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting