Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Terrible Girls Club Review: Masque of Red Death ( Masque of Red Death #1) by Bethany Griffins

Its time for The Terrible Girls Review again. Every month, we from the Terrible Girls, ( whom I met on GoodReads) do a feature together to share our love for Terrible, I mean to say, great books we read.


The Terrible Girls are:
Christen @ Goldilox and the Three Weres
Mariya @ Mystifying Paranormal Reviews
Jamie and Cat @ Addicted 2 Heroines
Miss Vain @ Miss Vain's Paranormal Fantasy
Vanesmate and HeatherJay @ Paranormal Itch
Samina @ Escapism from Reality
Laura @ Little Read Riding Hood
Emmy @ Sinfully Delicious Books


This month I did a book exchange with Emmy from Sinfully Delicious book Reviews and gave each other books we had not read. I gave Emmy Masque of Read Death which I had done a buddy review with from Laura from Little Read Riding Hood which you can read here and I was given The Loss of Sunlight by Lia Black. You can read my review here. Emmy does not read Young Adult usually so I knew this was going to be fun.
This is how it went:
Everything is in ruins.

A devastating plague has decimated the population. And those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles to pieces around them.

So what does Araby Worth have to live for?

Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery make-up . . . and tantalizing ways to forget it all.

But in the depths of the club—in the depths of her own despair—Araby will find more than oblivion. She will find Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club. And Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. Neither boy is what he seems. Both have secrets. Everyone does.

And Araby may find something not just to live for, but to fight for—no matter what it costs her.


Araby is 17 years old and living in one of the few towers still standing since the plague hit. I don't think it was ever mentioned when this takes place. With how desolate the city has become, you would think it's a century ago but then with the science and building structure, we really have no clue. I guess that's what you get for a slightly Steampunk dystopian novel. Just a guess since this such a different book then I would normally read. The plague hit and everything changed. People were dying, people were hiding out underground, utter madness until they finally produced a mask to filter the air. But of course that only means trouble. It's all about money and politics. Who is in control. Who can afford masks. Who dies.


The Araby we are introduced to is withdrawn. Having made a promise to herself, she doesn't allow herself any happiness or to experience new things. Such a young person to feel so jaded with life but with good reason. She does have a good friend in the form of April.


April is a great friend. Kind of shallow at first but is a really important character. Her true colors really show near the end and I adore her for it. They dress up and go out to this one club often. They drink, they flirt. Just trying to escape the tragic reality that is the plague. Araby has some kind of addiction but it's never clear what it is. She just needs to escape. This really sets the pace for the book. It is rather dark and desolate.



"What do you want?" he asks in an amused voice. His self-assurance makes him seem older than he looks. I'm guessing a student at the university, if it were still open.

"Oblivion." It is what I am always looking for.

"What's a pretty girl like you trying to forget?"

A pretty girl like me, with my clean fingernails and my unblemished bill of health.

He doesn't know anything about me.


Will is a "bouncer" at this club. He's young, has tattoos, mysterious and sexy. He quickly becomes part of the story and I really liked him throughout. He's a really sweet guy and much different at home then he is at the club.


"Because that means it's ok for me to notice you. To like you. I wondered what was wrong with me when I kept watching for you at the club, anticipating speaking to you. I started to despise myself for being so interested. I wondered what you would say when i was testing you, what you and your friend were giggling about."


Finishing the triangle, we have Elliott. He's older, intelligent, ruthless in his pursuits. I honestly didn't care too much for him in the beginning but that quickly changes.


“And I'm falling in love with you,' he whispers. "But I would throw you in the water and watch crocodiles tear you to bits, if I thought that doing so would accomplish my goals. Do. Not. Trust. Anyone. Especially me.”


I'm not much for triangles but I like this one. We see great change in both the young men. They both get a good amount of page time and are there for her through some difficult situations.


This story really takes us on quite the journey from beginning to end. It's bleak but promising as she finds something to fight for. The character developments at the end of the book were shocking to me. It's a great book though and the writing was fantastic and fit the story. Blunt sentences, dark imagery, troubled youth in a messed up world. Thanks Samina for picking this for me! It was different for me yet very enjoyable.


Do remember to stop by at Emmy’s blog at Sinfully Delicious Book Reviews for more views and reviews of the great books she reads.


Terrible Girls Feature so far.
Masque of Red Death by Bethany Griffins
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness



3 comments:

Julie on June 27, 2012 at 7:21 PM said...

Aaah! This book sounds awesome. Those quotes you pulled out totally just sold me. The boys sound very hot. ;D

Escapism Fanatic on June 28, 2012 at 11:56 AM said...

Julie, belive me the boys are really hot. I also could not decide whom to chose but I like Elliot the most.

Sinfully Delicious Book Reviews on June 28, 2012 at 3:11 PM said...

Thanks again Samina for doing this with me! It was fun!!!

Your post looks great!

xoxo
Emmy

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting