Monday, June 4, 2012

Review: Red Fox (Experiment in Terror # 2) by Karina Halle



My ratings: 5 out of 5 stars.
Tensions are high when Perry and Dex, the new ghost hunters on town have to shoot their second episode of the internet series Experiment in Terror where they have to pretend that they are a married couple. A couple living on a farm have reported some strange happenings which may have ghosts involved and Dex is on a mission to get it on camera. This couple are devout Christians, so both of them have to pretend they are a married couple. As usual, things get bad to worse and Perry and Dex are thrown into the middle of strange happenings.

Karina Halle doesn’t disappoint you.

Halle has written such real characters which are not perfect in any regards and some may call them crazy too but I could not stop loving them. Secrets and pasts were revealed and we get to know more of the mystery called Dex. If even some things cam out in the light it raised more questions. Why is Dex with Jen? What is he hiding? Is he really mad or Perry imagining everything? I liked Perry in DarkHouse but I loved her in this book. She is still Perry, insecure and humble (and funny, of course) but we see her wanting to be more. Dex and Perry’s relationship develops a notch more but as with everything with Dex you are left thinking ‘What is this bloke thinking?”. A new character, Maximus is introduced who gives us an insight on Dex’s old life. Jealousy is brought to the forefront but you are left thinking is Dex jealous or just being an arse.

“What do we act like?” Dex asked.
Rudy was silent. Then he said. You act like people who are forever on thier fist date.”


I loved that not short cuts were taken and the growth in their relationship has been well paced and normal. I really admire how the different emotions are written and expressed with eyes. Even with all the hints, I still cannot read Dex and I keep loving him for it. They are so similar to each other and they don’t even realise it either. What I love about the characters is that they are so down to earth. I mean they have their weaknesses, secrets and pasts which they keep trying to hide.

This book was especially scary and creepy. It’s where you cannot trust anyone or anything. Dex and Perry only have each other to go through this. It was full of juicy bits as both of them had to pretend that they were married (awkward) but it was great to see there old tension coming to the front. They obviously are attracted to each other and you want to scream at them to get in on. The mystery, sexual tension keeps you on the edge and hoping that both of them will get their moment.


The parched air swarmed furiously with sky-seeking embers that spanned the spectrum of orange and yellow. They emerged from flames of fire with the vibrating sound of cracking bones and formed abstract waves in the space above my head drifting off into the darkness.

Halle has a gift of story telling and she spins a tale where not only does she make the desert dangerous but creepy and horrifying. I liked how the Navajo myth and folklore was so well woven into the story but you still could not guess what or who was to be blamed. In Red Fox, I see great narration and interesting story line. It kept me engaged and wondering what will happen next. Some of the questions were resolved some were not but at this point I did not care. All I wanted was Perry and Dex to be safe and get the hell out of that crazy ranch/farm.

This was unputdown-able and the pages kept turning without effort. After completing this book I wanted my next Dex and Perry hit immediately. If anyone wants to read horror with supernatural elements to it but not sure where to start this is the book for you. If you haven’t read this yet, what are you waiting for?
There were so many moments and quotes which I would have loved to share but they would give too much away so I would leave you with this.

“Dex,” I whispered.
“Mmmm?” he grunted.
“I hope you never stop feeling alive.”
I could have sworn his heart skipped a few beats. He tensed. Then relaxed.
“ As long as you’re around,” he said softly, “I’ll be alive.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting