Sunday, June 17, 2012

On Demon Wings (Experiment in Terror #5) by Karina Halle


My ratings: 5 out of 5 stars.
Fifth book in the Experiment in Terror series by Karina Halle is still amazing as ever. I'm so surprised that even the 5th book in the series has has been so interesting as usually a book series is the best during the third or the fourth book but On Demon Wings was equally good. I still has the same elements that's I have come to associate with Halle, spooky situations, interesting heroine, and a page turning read with heart wrenching romance.

On Demons Wings had s slightly different feel to it. After the 'incident' in Lying Season, Perry is struggling to cope with a life without Dex and Experiment in Terror. On the surface it looks that everything is better and the heart break she suffered has slowly healed but it is far from the truth. Dex's betrayal is still like a stab wound to her heart which keeps being twisted again and gain. She still thinks she is a loser in life and is struggling with her health. The story starts off with Perry and her life and health being on a rocky path but she is doing her best to deal with it. However, is Abby's ghost coming to haunt her?

The book had some really scary situations and it made me glad I am not in Perry's shoes. She thinks she is haunted/possessed and no one believes her. The only one who probably will is not here. I was very hard for me to watch her suffer and it pulled on my heart strings as over the series I have come to really love Perry. She is such a character that makes you want to be friends with her even if she is not all there.I found myself cheering her on and I was glad that she was slowly picking up the pieces of her shattered heart. I also love how close she and Ada had become in this difficult time of her life. I was nice to see Ada emerging as a strong and loyal supporter of Perry and putting Dex in the righful place.

I am trying to write this review whilst not giving spoilers but it is becoming increasingly hard to do so. Most of this book was about Perry and what was happening to which meant less Dex time. In fact, he is only in about 25% of the story. However what an appearance he makes. Even after Lying Season I still love him to bits and my heart was thumping for him and Perry. Old characters like Maximus make an entry but their motives are not exactly clear. I want to slap the ginger Cajun left and right but I suppose I can't. Sorry if this is not a very coherent review because this is what this series turns me into.


“I met her eyes."I don't hate myself. I hate what I've become.
"Become?" she said "Pumpkin, you've always been like this.”

As I mentioned before, On Demon wings had a slightly different feeling to this as Dex and Perry were not off somewhere shooting or getting into trouble. It had less Dex and Perry time too so perhaps that's why I didn't like it as much as I loved Lying Season. Don't get me wrong. I loved this too (so, the solid 5 stars) but I have always been more of a fan for the relationship part of this series. Lying Season was probably my favourite book out of the lot. SO FAR.


"I don't think I'll ever be able to tell you how sorry I am. It doesn't mean I won't try, because you, Perry, you deserve a lifetime of servitude. Eons of groveling. even then, I don't think I can show enough, do enough to let you see. And that's OK. You have every right to hate me for this lifetimes and many others.. You have every right to never see me again. To spit on my grave. But tonight, now I'm not going to give up on you. I'm going to fix you or" his voice fell with weights, "die trying."

I don't know what I can say more about Halle's writing style that I already haven't. These books are great page turners and I'm never sure where she is going to take it next. All I want is more. After reading this series I have to say that I should give self published authors more chance as some out there are really good and we don't know what we are missing out.

“Perry," he said quietly, his fingers trailing down the side of my face, "you'll never have to save my life. You gave me life. I never lived a single day until the day I first met you.”


*SWOONS*


Finally, I would like to thank Emmy from Sinfully Delicious Book Reviews for lending me Dead Sky Morning, Lying Season and On Demon Wings when I was going crazy for a Dex and Parry hit after and Kindle started too act possessed.

2 comments:

Sinfully Delicious Book Reviews on June 21, 2012 at 2:32 AM said...

Oh boy I'm missing Dex. Great review! He's always so quote worthy!

Check out what I won! I'm the winner that gets the secret Dex POV. She has yet to wriite it but I will most likely share it on my blog. I'll keep you posted!!!

Miss Vain's Paranormal Fantasy on June 21, 2012 at 8:49 AM said...

Samina

I cannot read your review because I bought the first two books in this series and I don't want to spoil anything. Thank you for sharing!!:) xoxo

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting